Secure bicycle storage
23 February 2021
Bicycles can be easy targets for thieves. Baptist home contents cover automatically includes bicycles as long as you have taken some precautions.
Bicycle cover at home
Contents within outbuildings at your property are covered up to your total contents sum insured. The exception to this is a theft limit of £5,000 for any one year of insurance. This figure is on top of any items specified on your policy that are kept within your outbuilding.
Bicycles that are stored within outbuildings are automatically covered for up to £750 each. If your bike is worth more than £750, please contact us as we will need to provide specialist cover.
When at home and not in use, it’s important to lock your bike to a permanent fixture in a secure shed, garage or outbuilding.
Keeping your outbuildings secure
- Make sure you fit quality locks and remember to lock up after you are finished in the outbuilding.
- Check that any door hinges are securely fitted and replace any loose screws.
- Consider installing motion-activated lights to eliminate any dark hiding places.
- Fit a security alarm to add another layer of protection.
- Keep in touch with your neighbours about any suspicious activity.
Bicycle cover away from home
When away from home, you have portable items cover on your policy. If your bike is valued at less than £750, your Baptist home insurance will cover theft, loss and accidental damage.
If your bike is valued at more than £750, please make sure you let us know so we can adapt your policy and discuss security.
Protecting your bike away from home
- Make sure you use a high-quality lock.
- Learn how to lock your bike up securely.
- Avoid leaving your bike in any isolated or dimly-lit areas.
- Keep records of your bike such as receipts or photographs.
- Register your bike on the National Cycle Database.
- Mark your bike with a security marking kit.
- Always remove your accessories such as detachable lights and saddlebags when your bike is parked.
For more information about insuring your bicycle, please give us a call on 0345 070 2223