Skip to content
  • Church congregation - Baptist Insurance  

Outside users – letting your church hall

Many churches play a vital role in their community by offering their premises for hire to local clubs and classes. From concerts to community groups to youth clubs providing a venue for these events can be a good source of income for churches.

You need make sure that proper insurance is in place and the church is adequately protected when ‘other’ people use your building - whether they pay you rent, give you a donation or use the premises for free. You may find our template health and safety document for the letting of church premises useful.

Some of the groups, sometimes referred to as outside users, using the church hall may have their own insurance cover. Before letting a group use the church hall, trustees should ask to see the insurance certificate and take a copy to keep on file.

None of the outside user groups should be allowed to use church premises until you are certain that they have made appropriate arrangements for Public Liability insurance. You should call and let us know if the activity of the group is potentially hazardous, such as martial arts.

The really important thing for all churches to remember is not to rent the hall to groups or individuals who are uninsured or have not shown you proof of insurance.

If you have any queries about hiring of church premises call and talk to our team on 0345 070 2223.

Talk to our team on 0345 070 2223
The Baptist Insurance Company PLC (BIC) Reg. No. 83597. Registered in England at Beaufort House, Brunswick Road, Gloucester, GL1 1JZ. The Baptist Insurance Company PLC is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority, Firm Reference Number 202032.