Skip to content

Flood Re FAQs

Take a look at our FAQs to find out more information about Flood Re and how it can benefit homeowners at risk from flooding.

  • Why has Flood Re been set up?


    Recent winters have shown that flood continues to be an issue for the UK. Flood Re has been set up to ensure that insurance against floods continues to be available and affordable.

    We have worked with many customers over the years both to support them and restore their homes after the devastating effects of being flooded.  We are supporting the Flood Re scheme to represent the homeowners we insure who are at risk of flooding.

  • How does it work?


    All insurers pay a ‘levy’ into a central fund held by Flood Re.

    In addition, insurers can choose to place (or cede) the flood risk part of any home insurance policy with Flood Re. For these policies the premium for the flood element will be based on the property’s Council Tax band and the flood excess will be £250.

    The levies and the flood premiums collected by Flood Re will then be used to pay for flood claims on policies sent to them by the insurers.

  • What does this mean for me?


    This makes no difference to the way you buy your home insurance and any claims will continue to be handled by us as before.

    If your home is to be included in the Flood Re scheme, we will contact you ahead of your renewal date with details of your amended premium including the excess of £250 for flood.

  • Will this affect my premium?

    Your premium could be affected if your property is identified by us as being at risk of flooding.
  • How have you identified my property as at risk of flooding?


    We have invested in flood mapping software tools that enable us to look at properties on an individual basis and provide bespoke underwriting.

  • Do all insurers use the same data when interpreting which areas are likely to flood?


    No, insurers do not all use the same data sources. The information each insurer uses is commercially sensitive and you may find that insurers will differ in their approach.

  • If I am not satisfied what is the complaints process?


    If you have any reason to complain about the advice or service you’ve received, please contact us as soon as possible. You can complain in writing or verbally at any time to:

    The Baptist Insurance Company plc
    Beaufort House
    Brunswick Road
    GL1 1JZ
    Tel: 0345 070 2223

    If you’re not satisfied with our response, or we have not completed our investigation after eight weeks, we’ll inform you of your right to take the complaint to:

    Financial Ombudsman Service
    Exchange Tower
    E14 9SR
    Tel: 0800 0234 567  

  • Where can I go for more information about Flood Re?


    For more information about how Flood Re works and the benefits visit

    You will also be able to find information about flood prevention and protection on this site.

The Baptist Insurance Company PLC (BIC) Reg. No. 83597. Registered in England at Beaufort House, Brunswick Road, Gloucester, GL1 1JZ. The Baptist Insurance Company PLC is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority, Firm Reference Number 202032.